Patricia regularly provides advice on corporate governance matters and a variety of corporate transactions for publicly traded and privately held corporations.
Patricia is often called upon to advise on mergers and acquisitions, financings, asset sales and other significant transactions. Her work includes structuring complex transactions and often involves counseling boards of directors and board committees on their fiduciary duties and the technical aspects of Delaware corporate law. She also provides formal legal opinions on issues involving Delaware corporate law.
Patricia is actively involved with the American Bar Association’s Mergers & Acquisitions Committee. She is Co-Chair of the Subcommittee on Acquisitions of Public Companies of the M&A Committee. She was a member of the Corporate Laws Committee from 2014-2020 and served as Co-Chair of the MBCA Implementation and Outreach Subcommittee of the Corporate Laws Committee. From 2011-2018, she also served as Co-Chair of the Joint Task Force on Governance Issues in Business Combinations. As part of her role as Task Force Co-Chair, she served as an editor of The Role of Directors in M&A Transactions: A Governance Handbook for Directors, Management and Advisors.
Patricia is a member of the Council of the Corporation Law Section of the Delaware State Bar Association and, in that capacity, participates in the annual review of, and preparation of amendments to, the Delaware General Corporation Law. She was appointed by the Delaware Supreme Court to serve as a member of the court’s Board on Professional Responsibility (2012-2018). In 2018, she became a fellow of the American College of Governance Counsel, and in 2019 was named to the Board of Trustees and Secretary.
Patricia also frequently speaks on Delaware corporate law issues at corporate law seminars and symposia around the country, including the Tulane Corporate Law Institute, the University of Texas Mergers & Acquisitions Institute, the Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute, the Northwestern Law Securities Regulation Institute and the ABA National M&A Institute. She also serves as Co-Chair of Practising Law Institute’s Mergers & Acquisitions conference.
News & Insights
- Morris Nichols Partner Patricia Vella Serves as Editor of New Governance Handbook on “The Role of Directors in M&A Transactions”Publication, American Bar Association, 05.07.2019
The American Bar Association Business Law Section has published a new book titled, The Role of Directors in M&A Transactions: A Governance Handbook for Directors, Management and Advisors. Morris Nichols partner Patricia O. Vella is one of four editors of the Handbook that gives directors, management, and legal and financial advisors a framework for providing effective oversight of merger and acquisition deals.
- Speaking Engagement, New York, New York | Virtual, 01.20.2022 through 01.21.2022
Patricia Vella will serve as program faculty and moderate the January 20 session, “Special Committees in M&A Transactions.”
- Speaking Engagement, New York, New York | Virtual, 11.03.2021
The Practising Law Institute hosts the 53rd Annual Institute on Securities Regulation from November 3-5, 2021. The program will be held in-person and via live webcast and feature insights from leading US securities and corporate law practitioners.
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, 09.22.2021 through 09.24.2021
Four Morris Nichols partners will attend the conference as committee leaders and speakers, sharing insights on Delaware corporate law and VC/PE developments.
- Media Mention, IFLR1000 United States, 08.25.2021
IFLR United States 2021 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms again ranked Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP in two Delaware tables ranking the top M&A law firms and the leading restructuring and insolvency law firms.
- Media Mention, The Best Lawyers in America, 08.19.2021
The Best Lawyers in America has released its 2022 edition, listing thirty-two attorneys from Morris Nichols. The results are based on peer-review evaluations from more than 66,000 eligible attorneys.
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, 06.30.2021
On June 30, Morris Nichols partner Patricia Vella will speak in the session on “Delaware Law & Litigation Developments.”
- Media Mention, The Legal 500, 06.10.2021
Morris Nichols was ranked in The Legal 500 US, a nationwide guide to the foremost law firms in the United States.
- Chambers USA 2021 Again Recognizes Morris Nichols in Band 1 in Four Delaware Practices; 27 Attorneys Named Among Leading Delaware PractitionersMedia Mention, Chambers USA, 05.20.2021
The 2021 edition of Chambers USA has again ranked Morris Nichols in the top tier in four Delaware practice categories.
- Speaking Engagement, Webinar, 05.20.2021
Morris Nichols partners Tarik Haskins and Tricia Vella will speak on the “Transactional Lessons” session at the Practising Law Institute’s day-long program covering important Delaware corporate law developments over the past year and how they impact corporate or legal practice.
- Media Mention, Lawdragon 500, 05.12.2021
Lawdragon 500 recently released its inaugural list of Leading Dealmakers in America. Six Morris Nichols partners were selected for inclusion, comprising one third of the Delaware honorees.
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, 05.11.2021
Morris Nichols partners Patricia Vella and Dave Harris will join the Connecticut Bar Association Business Law Section to present an overview of recent Delaware statutory changes and caselaw developments relevant to corporate, LLC and partnership attorneys.
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, April 19, 2021 through April 23, 2021
The American Bar Association hosts the Business Law Section virtual spring meeting from April 19-23, 2021. Three Morris Nichols partners will attend the conference as committee leaders and speakers, sharing insights on alternative entities, Delaware corporate law, fiduciary duties, and special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs).
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, 03.11.2021 Through 03.12.2021
Morris Nichols partner Bill Lafferty serves as co-chair of Tulane University Law School’s 33rd Annual Corporate Law Institute.
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, 01.21.2021
The Practising Law Institute will hold its annual two-day conference on mergers and acquisitions live via webcast from January 21 to 22, 2021. Morris Nichols partners Patricia Vella and Melissa DiVincenzo will offer Delaware perspective as program faculty.
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, November 4, 2020 through November 6, 2020
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual, 10.07.2020
- Firm News, 08.20.2020
Thirty-one Morris Nichols attorneys were recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The results are based on peer-review evaluations from more than 67,000 eligible attorneys.
- Speaking Engagement, Webinar, 07.17.2020
- Chambers USA 2020 Ranks Morris Nichols Band 1 in Four Delaware Practices; 24 Morris Nichols Attorneys Recognized Among Leading Delaware PractitionersFirm News, 04.23.2020
- Speaking Engagement, New Orleans, Louisiana, 03.05.2020 Through 03.06.2020
- Webinar, Webinar, 01.21.2020
- Speaking Engagement, New York, New York, 01.09.2020 Through 01.10.2020
- Speaking Engagement, New York, New York, 11.04.2019 Through 11.06.2019
- Speaking Engagement, Webinar, 10.10.2019
- Speaking Engagement, Washington, DC, 09.12.2019 Through 09.14.2019
- Firm News, 06.06.2019
Wilmington, DE (June 6, 2019) - IFLR United States - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Firms again ranked Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP in two Delaware tables ranking the top M&A law firms and the leading restructuring and insolvency law firms.
- Firm News, 05.29.2019
Wilmington, DE (May 29, 2019) - The Legal 500 United States released its 2019 edition today. Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP is once again “highly rated” in the nationwide guide to the foremost law firms in the United States.
- Speaking Engagement, New York, New York, 05.09.2019
- Speaking Engagement, Vancouver, British Columbia, 03.28.2019 Through 03.30.2019
- Speaking Engagement, Wilmington, Delaware, 02.08.2019
- Speaking Engagement, New York, New York, 01.10.2019 Through 01.11.2019
- Firm News, 10.22.2018
Wilmington, DE (October 22, 2018) - Patricia O. Vella has been chosen as a member of the 2018 Class of Fellows of the American College of Governance Counsel (“ACGC”).
- IFLR1000 United States Guide Ranks Morris Nichols in Top Delaware Bands for Financial and Corporate Law FirmsFirm News, 09.17.2018
Wilmington, DE (September 17, 2018) - The 2018 edition of IFLR United States - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Firms has been released. Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP appears at the top of the two Delaware tables ranking the leading M&A law firms and the leading restructuring and insolvency law firms.
- It Doesn’t Always Come Down to the Highest Dollar: Delaware Court of Chancery Upholds Board’s Decision Not to Engage in Discussions with Topping Bidder in In Re Family Dollar, Inc. Stockholder LitigationArticle, The Threshold, Spring 2015
Morris Nichols partner Patricia O. Vella and associate Elizabeth A. Hecker “present a fascinating analysis of the intersection between antitrust, attorney-client privilege, and Delaware corporate law” in this article on In Re Family Dollar, Inc. Stockholder Litigation, a case involving the long-running takeover battle for Family Dollar Stores, Inc.
- Speaking Engagement, Coronado, California, 01.26.2015
- Article, 05.22.2013
Patricia O. Vella, Morris Nichols Delaware Corporate Law Counseling Group partner, co-authored “Confidentiality and Standstill Agreements: Recent Delaware Law Developments” featured in the May 22, 2013 edition of The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation.
- Morris Nichols Elects Patricia Vella, John DiTomo as Partners; Katherine Betterly as Special Counsel01.01.2013
- Minneapolis, MN, 05.17.2012
- Article, 01.01.2012
Morris Nichols attorneys Jeffrey R. Wolters, Patricia O. Vella, and Eric S. Klinger-Wilensky contributed three chapters to the 2012 edition of Corporate Attorney’s Practice Guide, published by Lexis Nexis.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, ranked in Delaware corporate M&A, 2014-2021
The Legal 500 US, Leading Lawyer in M&A corporate and commercial Delaware counsel, 2021
IFLR1000 United States, listed in Delaware financial and corporate, 2018-2021
Who’s Who Legal: M&A and Governance, listed in M&A, 2015-2020
The Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers Business Edition: Women in the Law, included in Delaware corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions, 2016-2022; corporate law, 2018-2022
The Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year” in Delaware corporate governance law, 2019; mergers and acquisitions law, 2020
Lawdragon 500 Leading Dealmakers in America, included for corporate governance and M&A, 2021
Professional & Civic
American Bar Association (Business Law Section, Corporate Laws Committee (MBCA Implementation and Outreach Subcommittee Co-Chair 2014-2020), Mergers and Acquisitions Committee (Subcommittee on Acquisitions of Public Companies Co-Chair), Joint Task Force on Governance Issues in Business Combinations (Co-Chair, 2011-2018), Subcommittee on M&A Jurisprudence, Annual Survey Working Group)
American College of Governance Counsel (Fellow, Board of Trustees, Secretary)
Board on Professional Responsibility, Delaware Supreme Court (2012-2018)
Delaware State Bar Association (Council of the Corporation Law Section)
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Randy J. Holland, Delaware Supreme Court, 1996-1997
Villanova University School of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 1996
Villanova Law Review, Executive Editor
University of Delaware, BS, business administration, magna cum laude, 1992
- Delaware, 1996