Pro Bono & Community ServicePDF
Morris Nichols is dedicated to Delaware and the communities we live and work in. We demonstrate that dedication by providing pro bono legal services to the underrepresented and by investing our time and resources in the form of volunteerism and community involvement and support.
We actively encourage all of our lawyers to become involved with public service from the start of their careers. With a focus on the community of Wilmington, Delaware, our pro bono efforts involve securing access for the underrepresented to veterans’ benefits, housing, healthcare, Social Security disability, and education. Several of our lawyers serve as court-appointed advocates for children, and a number of others assist with prisoners’ rights cases.
Our pro bono legal work has been consistently recognized by the Delaware community including the:
- Delaware State Bar Association's Access to Justice Commitment Award;
- Delaware State Bar Association’s Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award;
- Delaware Governor’s Outstanding Volunteer Award in Social Justice;
- Delaware State Bar Association’s Award for the Highest Contribution to the Combined Campaign for Justice;
- Delaware State Bar Association Community Service Award; and
- Delaware HIV Consortium’s Corporate Awardee.
Volunteerism, Community Involvement and Support
Our presence in the community extends far beyond pro bono legal services. Our lawyers and business professionals serve on numerous boards, volunteer, and provide financial support to a wide range of educational, charitable, faith-based, health and welfare, and arts organizations throughout the Delaware Valley. A Morris Nichols partner chairs the Delaware State Bar Associations's Lawyer Assistance Committee. Another partner serves as co-chair of the Delaware State Bar Professional Guidance Committee. A number of our lawyers are also leaders of many of the administrative arms of the Delaware courts, including the Board of Bar Examiners and the Rules Committees of the Courts, as well as many important committees of the Delaware Bar Association.
- ArticleCognitive Dissonance, Hard Decisions, and Wellness06.2022
- Firm NewsTarik Haskins Receives DSBA Distinguished Mentoring Award12.08.2021
- Firm NewsMorris Nichols Donation Supports Family Promise11.30.2021
- Media MentionLaw360: Helping Make Sure Delaware’s Attorneys Are Mentally Fit03.24.2021
- In January 2021, Morris Nichols personnel raised $9,000 and collected various items to support The Friendship House of Delaware’s new Code Purple Shelter, The Hope Center.
- Firm NewsMorris Nichols Donates $50,000 to Delaware COVID Response Fund12.11.2020
Derek C. Abbott, Pro Bono and Community Service Committee Chair
302-351-9357 | email@example.com